A Geisha’s Diary a.k.a. Women are Born Twice
Dir: Kawashima Yuzo
Japan, 1961, 99 minmins, DCP
Cast: Wakao Ayako, Yamamura So, Fujimaki Jun
Orphaned by the war, Koen is a good-natured Tokyo geisha eager to make her patrons happy. As the various men enter and exit her life, she gradually notices a change in herself, and learns to live as a consummute woman. Featuring the luminous Wakao Ayako whose nuanced shifts in emotion delicately reflect Kawashima’s central theme of “inner human experience”, this bold gem that constantly undercuts the melodrama is full of playful visual surprises and sharp social commentary – an uncanny intimacy between the secluded world of the brothel and the post-war Japanese society. Looking up the ropeway in the last scene, Koen has achieved a reinvigorated self-image – and Kawashima, a revitalized Japanese cinema.
Kinema Junpo Award: Best Actress
Blue Ribbon Award: Best Actress
25/8/2019 (SUN)：Film Talk with Thomas Shin
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.