A Time to Love and a Time to Die
Dir: Douglas Sirk
USA, 1958, 132minmins, DCP
Cast: John Gavin, Liselotte Pulver, Jock Mahoney
Sirk lost his son on the Eastern Front, and he uses this vividly nightmarish war film – shot in CinemaScope by Russell Metty – to take us on a dark journey to the end of the night, as a soldier on his furlough visits his hometown at the height of the Second World War, and falls in love amidst the horrors and absurdities of life in war-torn Nazi Germany. Erich Maria Remarque adapted his own novel and plays a key character, while Miklós Rózsa wrote the score. “”I am going to write a madly enthusiastic review of Douglas Sirk’s latest film,”” wrote Godard, “”simply because it set my cheeks afire.”” A young Klaus Kinski appears in a small role.
Golden Globe Awards: Most Promising Newcomer – Male
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.