A Time to Love and a Time to Die
Dir: Douglas Sirk
USA, 1958, 132minmins, DCP
Cast: John Gavin, Liselotte Pulver, Jock Mahoney
Sirk lost his son on the Eastern Front, and he uses this vividly nightmarish war film – shot in CinemaScope by Russell Metty – to take us on a dark journey to the end of the night, as a soldier on his furlough visits his hometown at the height of the Second World War, and falls in love amidst the horrors and absurdities of life in war-torn Nazi Germany. Erich Maria Remarque adapted his own novel and plays a key character, while Miklós Rózsa wrote the score. “”I am going to write a madly enthusiastic review of Douglas Sirk’s latest film,”” wrote Godard, “”simply because it set my cheeks afire.”” A young Klaus Kinski appears in a small role.
Golden Globe Awards: Most Promising Newcomer – Male
Buy Ticket 2021-07-10 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
1. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas : tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
2. Screenings at HK Arts Centre and M+ Cinema : tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets are available at URBTIX website and mobile app. On-the-day tickets will also be available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the respective venue, subject to availability.
3. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
4. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.