All About Lily Chou-Chou(Riri Shushu no subete)
Dir: Iwai Shunji
Japan, 2001, Japanese, 146mins, DCP
Cast: Ichihara Hayato, Oshinari Shugo, Aoi Yu, Ito Ayumi
Making his first foray into digital filmmaking, Iwai Shunji plunged headfirst into the inner lives of Japan’s disaffected youths in his bleak, boldly experimental and ethereal coming-of-age story. Set over the course of one tumultuous school year, the film follows two high schoolers as they try to escape the unbearable weight of reality by escaping into the music of a pop star named Lily Chou-Chou. Succinctly capturing the amorphous rhythms of adolescent life lost in isolation and despair, All About Lily Chou-Chou, newly restored to celebrate its 20th anniversary, feels eerily prescient for its frank depiction of bullying and cult-like idol fandom on the Internet.
Berlin International Film Festival: C.I.C.A.E. Award – Special Mention
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.