Dir: Paul Verhoeven
France/ Netherlands, 2021, French, 127mins, DCP
Cast: Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Daphne Patakia, Lambert Wilson
Teaming up again with writer David Birke who penned Paul Verhoeven’s previous masterpiece Elle (Summer IFF 2016), the fearless Dutch provocateur pushes the boundaries even further with this taboo-breaking, overthe- top film that will surely offend as well as inspire. Set in a 17-century Tuscany convent, a nun with religious visions and bleeding stigmata falls for an impetuous young nun and develops a taste for excess. A wildly intelligent and fun ride that comments on populism and challenges the church’s hypocrisy and lust for power, Benedetta, like Catherine in Basic Instinct (1992), climbs her way to power in a male-dominated world and achieves emancipation by finding her own voice, through her faith and sexuality.
Cannes Film Festival: In Competition
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.