Do You Remember Dolly Bell?(Sjecas li se, Dolly Bell)
Dir: Emir Kusturic
Yugoslavia, 1981, Serbo-Croatian, 110mins, DCP
Cast: Slavko Stimac, Slobodan Aligrudic, Ljiljana Blagojevic
Aloof from his father’s conviction in Communist idealism, Dino prefers to fall in with a band of petty crooks and be hooked on the glamour of gangster films. Practising hypnosis that fails on rabbits, he succeeds in anesthetising himself by believing “Every day I’m getting better and better”, and finally comes into his manhood through his romantic infatuations with young prostitute Dolly Bell. A bittersweet coming-of-age tale interweaving the political uproar of 1960’s Sarajevo, Kusturica’s semi-autobiographical debut manifests a sardonic sensibility that defines his dazzling directorial style, recognised by Venice as Best First Work.
Venice Film Festival: Best First Work, FIPRESCI Prize, OCIC Award – Honorable Mention
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.