Dir: Jacques Tati
France／Italy, 1967, 123 minmins, DCP
Cast: Jacques Tati, Barbara Dennek, Georges Montant
Mr. Hulot is only one amongst dozens of characters roaming through Tativille – the film’s enormous sets that led to the filmmaker’s bankruptcy, but Tati was justifiably proud of the uncompromising realization of his magnum opus. Shot in 70 mm, Tati fills his architectural spaces with elaborate sight gags, choreographing their intricate details as if they were motifs being developed in a complex orchestral score. Film theorist Noel Burch asserts that the film must be seen “several times, each from a different seat in the auditorium,” in order to savor its wealth of details.
Moscow International Film Festival: Silver Prize Best Director
TASCHEN will offer three newly released “Jacques Tati. The Complete Works” box sets (worth HK$2,000) in three selected Cine Fan screenings of “The Logic of Illusion: Jacques Tati” to lovers of Jacques Tati. The more screenings you watch, the higher the chance!
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.