Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
USA, 1940, 130minmins, DCP
Cast: Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders, Judith Anderson
How can love survive in a dark prison of memories, where a beautiful and mysterious dead woman still dominates the twisted lives at Manderley? Hitchcock found powerful material in Daphne du Maurier’s classic gothic novel and transmuted it into chilling elegance with the innocent Joan Fontaine, the enigmatic Laurence Olivier and the superbly frigid Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers. Like other Hitchcock films, a work whose art and artifice reward us anew in every viewing, where our own anticipations and memories converge with this powerfully haunted world.
1941 Academy Awards, Best Picture and Best Cinematography (Black-and-white)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.