Requiem for a Dream
Dir: Darren Aronofsky
USA, 2000, English, 102mins, DCP
Cast: Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly
Flashes of visual wit in frantic editing, Aronofsky’s stylistic mania dives in the drug-blighted veins of four characters to evoke their euphoric highs and jittery delirium. Yearning for an appearance on her favourite TV game show, an elderly widow is drawn into psychosis by solitude and irresponsibly prescribed diet pills, while her junkie son and his two friends succumb to heroin for electrified sensory charge and quick money. Threatening to overwhelm viewers with notoriously grotesque of an intimidating refrigerator, a suppurating arm and stag party gang-gropes that gradually dis/reconnect the characters with reality, the dismal realisation of nightmarish hallucination and its destructive consequences chants a requiem for the great American dream in vain.
Academy Awards: Best Actress nomination
Golden Globe Awards: Best Actress nomination
28/8 (Tue): Film talk with Fung Ka-ming
Full House 2021-08-24 (Tue)
Buy Ticket 2021-08-28 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.