Requiem for a Dream
Dir: Darren Aronofsky
USA, 2000, English, 102mins, DCP
Cast: Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly
Flashes of visual wit in frantic editing, Aronofsky’s stylistic mania dives in the drug-blighted veins of four characters to evoke their euphoric highs and jittery delirium. Yearning for an appearance on her favourite TV game show, an elderly widow is drawn into psychosis by solitude and irresponsibly prescribed diet pills, while her junkie son and his two friends succumb to heroin for electrified sensory charge and quick money. Threatening to overwhelm viewers with notoriously grotesque of an intimidating refrigerator, a suppurating arm and stag party gang-gropes that gradually dis/reconnect the characters with reality, the dismal realisation of nightmarish hallucination and its destructive consequences chants a requiem for the great American dream in vain.
Academy Awards: Best Actress nomination
Golden Globe Awards: Best Actress nomination
28/8 (Tue): Film talk with Fung Ka-ming
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.