Salaam Bombay!(Mira Nair)
Dir: Mira Nair
India, 1988, Hindi, 110mins, DCP
Cast: Shafiq Syed, Raghubir Yadav, Aneeta Kanwar, Irrfan Khan
A companion piece to Hector Babenco’s Pixote (1980), Mira Nair’s first fiction feature constitutes another neorealism masterpiece that takes an unsentimental yet striking look at the hard knock lives of street children in Bombay. From the spirit and through the extraordinary performances of real-life slum youngsters, this social exposé follows the misadventures of Krishna, a young boy who becomes a street child in the city after he is abandoned by a travelling circus. Under the constant threat of adults who exploit him, Krishna’s effort to go home is thwarted at every turn. Winner of the Camera d’Or at Cannes, this 1988 story has lost none of its throbbing vitality and powerful reflection on our world today.
Cannes Film Festival: Caméra d’Or
Academy Awards: Best Foreign Language Film nomination
25/9 (Sat): Film talk with Joyce Yang
Courtesy & Produced By: National Film Development Corporation Limited, India
Buy Ticket 2021-10-08 (Fri) 00:00 -
2021-10-10 (Sun) 23:59
Buy Ticket 2021-09-12 (Sun)
Tickets will be available at Emperor Cinemas Website, Mobile App and the box office of iSQUARE on screening day. 2021-09-25 (Sat)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: Tickets are available at URBTIX only. No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available from 30 minutes after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.