Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
Dir: Sergei Parajanov
Soviet Union, 1964, 99 minmins, DCP
Cast: Ivan Mykolaichuk, Larysa Kadochnikova, Tatyana Bestaeva
Sergei Parajanov’s first film after his artistic awakening is a love story set in the Carpathian mountain range of Ukraine, among the Hutsul ethnic minority. Despite the feud between their families, Ivan and Marichka have been inseparable since childhood. But when tragedy strikes, the grief is so great that it destroys multiple lives. This magical realism-infused romance is more narrative-driven than the filmmaker’s later works, but it includes many of his signature motifs, including his passion for ethnography, audacious camera work, heavy use of symbols and bold use of colors.
A copy of the film was provided by Dovzhenko Centre, the largest film archive in Ukraine.
Buy Tickets 2020-02-01 (Sat)
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2020-02-15 (Sat)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: Tickets are available at URBTIX only. No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available from 30 minutes after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.