Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
Dir: Sergei Parajanov
Soviet Union, 1964, 99 minmins, DCP
Cast: Ivan Mykolaichuk, Larysa Kadochnikova, Tatyana Bestaeva
Sergei Parajanov’s first film after his artistic awakening is a love story set in the Carpathian mountain range of Ukraine, among the Hutsul ethnic minority. Despite the feud between their families, Ivan and Marichka have been inseparable since childhood. But when tragedy strikes, the grief is so great that it destroys multiple lives. This magical realism-infused romance is more narrative-driven than the filmmaker’s later works, but it includes many of his signature motifs, including his passion for ethnography, audacious camera work, heavy use of symbols and bold use of colors.
A copy of the film was provided by Dovzhenko Centre, the largest film archive in Ukraine.
Buy Tickets 2020-02-01 (Sat)
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2020-02-15 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Post-screening talk
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app. On-the-day tickets are also available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the venue. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available once the screening begins.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.