Song of the Little Road(Pather Panchali)
Dir: Satyajit Ray
India, 1955, Bengali, 125mins, DCP, B&W
Cast: Kanu Banerjee, Karuna Banerjee, Subir Banerjee, Uma Das Gupta
Ray first became interested in Bibhutibhushan Banerjee’s novel about growing up in rural Bengal after illustrating an edition as a graphic designer. The experience of working for Jean Renoir on The River (1951) and a viewing of Bicycle Thieves (1948) eventually prompted Ray to adapt it for his debut. Meticulously storyboarding his shots, Ray and young cinematographer Subrata Mitra filmed intermittently for about three years as he raised funds for the project. The result was a masterpiece that provides a moving account of childhood attuned to the rhythms of nature while celebrating life despite the ominous presence of mortality, underpinned by Ravi Shankar’s sitar music.
Cannes Film Festival: Best Human Document Award
#6 in Sight and Sound’s 1992 Greatest Films of All Time Poll
23/10 (Sat): Film talk with Thomas Shin
Courtesy & Produced By: Information & Cultural Affairs Department, Government of West Bengal, India
Full House 2021-09-11 (Sat)
Full House 2021-10-23 (Sat)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: Tickets are available at URBTIX only. No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available from 30 minutes after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.