Stromboli(Stromboli, terra di Dio)
Dir: Roberto Rossellini
Italy／USA, 1950, English／Italian, 106mins, DCP, B&W
Cast: Ingrid Bergman, Mario Vitale, Renzo Cesana
In their first ever collaboration initiated by his then-future wife Ingrid Bergman, Roberto Rossellini cast the eminent actress as Karin, a Lithuanian refugee who marries an Italian fisherman to escape the internment camp. Moving to his home island of Stromboli, Karin finds herself entrapped in harsh landscapes as well as the hostility from the conservative islanders. Frustrated at her stultifying marriage, she is determined to flee from the isle, even at the risk of her life on the edge of the live volcano. Though scandalous at the time for their extramarital affair, Stromboli stands on its own as a sobering tale of a woman crushed by xenophobia and conservatism, yet resolute in searching for emancipation.
Venice Film Festival: In Competition
17/10 (Sun): Film talk with Derek Lam
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.