Dir: Claude Chabrol
France ／ Italy, 1970, 93 minmins, DCP
Cast: Stéphane Audran, Jean Yanne, Antonio Passalia
Hailed as the best French film since the Liberation by Le Figaro, The Butcher is considered Chabrol’s seminal masterwork. In a small village, Hélène (Stéphane Audran) is the spinster schoolmistress who meets the new butcher by chance at a wedding. This man, Popaul, escaped an abusive father into even greater horrors of war in Indochina and Algeria; he has now returned to take over the family shop. Their relationship remains pleasantly platonic even as the village is shaken by brutal, bloody murders. Until Hélène wonders, increasingly, if Popaul is somehow linked to these crimes…
San Sebastián International Film Festival : Best Actress
19/10/2019 (SAT) : Seminar with Long Tin and Geoffrey Wong
Buy Ticket 2019-10-06 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.