The Devil, Probably
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1977, 95minmins, 35mm
Cast: Antoine Monnier, Tina Irissari, Henri de Maublanc, Laetitia Carcano
Although it won a Silver Bear at the Berlinale, this remains one of Bresson’s most rarely-screened difficult films, where Catholicism meets nihilism in a post-1968 Parisian student milieu. Perhaps fittingly, this Dostoevsky adaptation opens with our hero, Charles, already dead in Père Lachaise cemetery. Flashbacks reveal not only his beauty and his questions, but also demanding questions of political and moral action of this era that remain powerful and pressing to this day. A film Rainer Werner Fassbinder championed as “shattering.”
‘Filmmakers on Bresson – Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
1977 Berlin Film Festival, Silver Bear Special Jury Prize
Buy Ticket 2017-05-28 (Sun)
Buy Ticket 2017-07-15 (Sat)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.