The Flow of Evening a.k.a. Evening Stream
Dir: Naruse Mikio, Kawashima Yuzo
Japan, 1960, 111 minmins, DCP
Cast: Yamada Isuzu, Tsukasa Yoko, Mihashi Tatsuya
A disruptive innovation emerges when Kawashima Yuzo’s vibrant color and jazz rhythm collide with Naruse’s graceful flow and understated direction. Staged on a boisterous geisha establishment, the multi-threaded story beginning with the amusement of carefree young geisha gradually zooms in on a poignant love triangle: the geisha house manager (Yamada Isuzu) and her daughter (Tsukasa Yoko) fall in love with the same young man. In an agonising confrontation between the two, Naruse’s masterful staging intensifies the film’s cumulative emotional power, whilst the unavoidable farewell laments the value of fading traditions.
Press here for more details on Programme Update for Cine Fan Screenings on 22 & 23 February.
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2020-01-12 (Sun)
Buy Ticket 2020-02-23 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.