The Fourth Man
Dir: Paul Verhoeven
The Netherlands, 1983, 102minmins
Cast: Jeroen Krabbé, Renée Soutendijk
Considered a prequel to Basic Instinct, The Fourth Man is film noir with a spiritual dimension, as the director manipulates profound ambiguities of plot, character and atmosphere that bring together graphic sex and violence with overtones of Christian supernaturalism and witchcraft. Key to Verhoeven’s success is the subtle realization of novelist Gerald Reve by Jeroen Krabbé as an unlikeable and self-destructive novelist ensnared by a treasurer, who seems to be evil incarnate. Are the warnings Reve receives from his conscience or the Virgin Mary? And is his paramour a siren for men murderess?
1983 Toronto International Film Festival, International Critics’ Award
1984 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards, Best Foreign Film
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.