The Home and The World(Ghare-Baire)
Dir: Satyajit Ray
India, 1984, Bengali, 132mins, DCP
Cast: Soumitra Chatterjee, Victor Banerjee, Swatilekha Chatterjee
Taking 35 years to adapt his beloved Rabindranath Tagore’s novel to the screen, Ray was nearly unable to complete the film due to two massive heart attacks. The romantictriangle tale revolves between a progressive husband and his traditional wife, whose arranged marriage turns into a love match after overcoming the trial of her fleeting infatuation with a nationalist revolutionary. It’s a love story in close-up and a sociopolitical commentary of India’s troubled era in long-shot, punctuated with “conversations in golden light and shadows” that “have their kind of voltage” as described by Pauline Kael.
Cannes Film Festival: In Competition
Courtesy & Produced By: National Film Development Corporation Limited, India
(The film will be screened with an unrestored print)
Tickets will be available at Emperor Cinemas Website, Mobile App and the box office of iSQUARE on screening day. 2021-09-19 (Sun)
Buy Ticket 2021-10-10 (Sun)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: Tickets are available at URBTIX only. No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available from 30 minutes after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.