The Left-handed Woman
Dir: Peter Handke
West Germany, 1978, 115minmins, DCP
Cast: Edith Clever, Bruno Ganz, Bernhard Minetti
Adapted from his own novella, Austrian playwright Peter Handke’s hidden masterpiece tells a feminist story with an empathy untainted by doctrine. Marianne, a German housewife disenchanted by the stifling comfort in the suburbs of Paris, suddenly decides to leave her husband and embarks on a solitary voyage of self-discovery. Brought on board for Handke’s exquisite directing debut through Wenders, Müller employs minimal camera movement, austere compositions, and a washed-out color palette to portray a profound sense of isolation, and a deeply moving hymn to a woman’s autonomy and liberation.
In Competition, Cannes Film Festival
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2019-06-22 (Sat)
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2019-07-14 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.