The Lonely Wife(Charulata)
Dir: Satyajit Ray
India, 1964, Bengali, 117mins, DCP, B&W
Cast: Madhabi Mukherjee, Shailen Mukherjee, Soumitra Chatterjee
Ray’s favourite pick of his own films that he felt was the least compromised, The Lonely Wife is an exquisite period adaptation of Tagore’s The Broken Nest whose interiors were shot entirely on soundstages with a meticulous naturalism. Lonely wife Charulata is married to the wealthy founder of a political newspaper whose neglect leads to a relationship developing between her and his free-spirited cousin, an aspiring poet who inspires her to put pen to paper. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to her, her brother schemes to swindle her husband of his wealth. For the second year in a row, Ray won the Best Director award at Berlinale.
Berlin International Film Festival: Silver Bear for Best Director
18/9 (Sat): Film talk with Ernest Chan
Satyajit Ray, the Humanist Poet
Tickets will be available at Emperor Cinemas Website, Mobile App and the box office of iSQUARE on screening day. 2021-09-18 (Sat)
Tickets will be available at Emperor Cinemas Website, Mobile App and the box office of iSQUARE on screening day. 2021-10-17 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.