Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
USA, 1958, 128minmins, DCP
Cast: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes
Considered to be Hitchcock’s most personal film, Vertigo is also his darkest. James Stewart is a San Francisco detective romantically obsessed with a beautiful and mysterious young woman – the wife of an old friend – whom he has been asked to follow. Her eventual suicide leaves him devastated and distraught, until he meets a shop girl who bears a striking resemblance to the dead woman. At the time of its release in 1958, Vertigo failed to reach the heights of popularity enjoyed by his other films but is now considered a masterpiece that defines the real meaning of suspense, deception and duplicity.
#1 in Sight & Sound‘s 2012 Greatest Films of All Time poll
Alfred Hitchcock – The American Years : Pure Cinema
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.