A Man Escaped
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1956, 101minmins, DCP
Cast: François Leterrier, Charles Le Clainche
A quintessential Bresson masterpiece. This haunting story is based on the actual memoirs of a Frenchman, André Devigny, who escaped from a Nazi prison. A true story yet transmogrified in Bresson’s hands into a pilgrimage of redemption, a film of a man facing death yet seeking more, bit by bit, among others. Here, his auteurial vision draws from a time of horror the director himself had known, interwoven with Mozart and changed utterly into this classic film.
1957 Cannes Film Festival, Best Director
1957 French Syndicate of Cinema Critics, Best Film
Filmmakers on Bresson_Francois Truffaut_A Man Escaped, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Filmmakers on Bresson_Agnieszka Holland, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
FULL 2017-06-03 (Sat)
Buy Ticket 2017-07-02 (Sun)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.