Dir: Abbas Kiarostami
Iran, 2001, 84minmins, D-beta
In 2001, the director was invited by the UN to spend 10 days in Uganda, filming children orphaned by AIDS. What could have been a cliche, poverty-exploiting documentary is transformed into trademark Kiarostami: a peek into the world of children, full of curiosity and spirit in the face of harsh experience. With the freedom offered by his small handheld camera, Kiarostami comes close to his idea of a “poetic camera”. This revelatory and inspiring documentary is a tender return to the subject of children, albeit in a land far from his home.
14/01/2017(Sat): Post-screening seminar with Linda Lai and Li Cheuk-to
ABC Africa, From The 26th Hong Kong International Film Festival Main Catalogue (The Hong Kong International Film Festival Society Limited, 2002)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Post-screening talk
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app. On-the-day tickets are also available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the venue. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available once the screening begins.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.