Ace in the Hole (a.k.a. The Big Carnival)
Dir: Billy Wilder
USA, 1951, 111 minmins, DCP
Cast: Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling, Bob Arthur, Porter Hall
“Bad news sells best because good news is no news,” says Charles Tatum (superbly played by Kirk Douglas), disgraced journalist and the anti-hero of this scathing criticism of sensational journalism. Stumbling upon a hunter who’s trapped after a cave collapse, Tatum is determined to turn the story to his ticket back to big city papers, even if he has to interfere with the rescue mission to his favour. A critical and commercial failure during release, the film has since been embraced as a perceptive and remarkably prescient film about the modern media landscape.
Venice Film Festival: International Award and Best Original Music
20/2 (Sat): Film talk with Ernest Chan
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.