Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1972, 93 minsmins, DCP
Cast: Klaus Kinski, Helena Rojo, Del Negro, Peter Berling
Herzog’s Heart of Darkness is about obsession, an experimentation of cinematic realism paired with an extreme sense of surreality. Laced with legendary incidents during shooting, this riveting epic is about a catastrophic expedition of the Spanish conquistadors into the Peruvian rainforest in search of the lost city of gold, ending up in a futile conquest in unforgiving despair. Kinski invests Aguirre with a frightening intensity, an acute manifestation of what greed and madness can bring human beings to. Herzog’s overwhelming vision, not just of the havoc of civilization, but of the insanity in man, is unmatched even in Coppola’s Apocalypse Now (1979).
1976 French Syndicate of Cinema Critics, Best Foreign Film
2005 TIME Magazine’s All-Time 100 Movies
Buy Tickets 2018-01-21 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.