Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1972, 93 minsmins, DCP
Cast: Klaus Kinski, Helena Rojo, Del Negro, Peter Berling
Herzog’s Heart of Darkness is about obsession, an experimentation of cinematic realism paired with an extreme sense of surreality. Laced with legendary incidents during shooting, this riveting epic is about a catastrophic expedition of the Spanish conquistadors into the Peruvian rainforest in search of the lost city of gold, ending up in a futile conquest in unforgiving despair. Kinski invests Aguirre with a frightening intensity, an acute manifestation of what greed and madness can bring human beings to. Herzog’s overwhelming vision, not just of the havoc of civilization, but of the insanity in man, is unmatched even in Coppola’s Apocalypse Now (1979).
1976 French Syndicate of Cinema Critics, Best Foreign Film
2005 TIME Magazine’s All-Time 100 Movies
Buy Tickets 2018-01-21 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Full House
1. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas : tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
2. Screenings at HK Arts Centre and M+ Cinema : tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets are available at URBTIX website and mobile app. On-the-day tickets will also be available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the respective venue, subject to availability.
3. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
4. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.