Dir: Michelangelo Antonioni
UK/Italy/USA, 1966, 111 minsmins, DCP
Cast: David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave, Sarah Miles, Jane Birkin
Antonioni in English, bringing a Palme d’Or at Cannes and box office success – in part because of its challenges to Hollywood’s censorship of sex. Starting from a story by Argentine author Julio Cortázar, Antonioni follows trendy London fashion photographer Thomas (David Hemmings) as he grows uneasy in his swinging world of beauty, drugs and parties. A chance photograph and encounter with a woman brings him into a world of mysteries, lies and even murder… or are these all illusions? The legendary pantomime tennis match provides the ideal finale and challenges us with shifting layers of vision, music and meaning.
1967 Cannes Film Festival, Palme d’Or
Blow-up, From Defining Modernity: Michelangelo Antonioni (Hong Kong International Film Festival Society, 2009)
Michelangelo Antonioni, the Architect of Human Landscape
Buy Tickets 2018-01-14 (Sun)
Full House 2018-02-10 (Sat)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.