Dir: Michelangelo Antonioni
UK/Italy/USA, 1966, 111 minsmins, DCP
Cast: David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave, Sarah Miles, Jane Birkin
Antonioni in English, bringing a Palme d’Or at Cannes and box office success – in part because of its challenges to Hollywood’s censorship of sex. Starting from a story by Argentine author Julio Cortázar, Antonioni follows trendy London fashion photographer Thomas (David Hemmings) as he grows uneasy in his swinging world of beauty, drugs and parties. A chance photograph and encounter with a woman brings him into a world of mysteries, lies and even murder… or are these all illusions? The legendary pantomime tennis match provides the ideal finale and challenges us with shifting layers of vision, music and meaning.
1967 Cannes Film Festival, Palme d’Or
Blow-up, From Defining Modernity: Michelangelo Antonioni (Hong Kong International Film Festival Society, 2009)
Buy Tickets 2018-01-14 (Sun)
Full House 2018-02-10 (Sat)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.