Dir: Krzysztof Kieslowski
Poland, 1979, Polish, 112mins, DCP
Cast: Jerzy Stuhr, Malgorzata Zabkowska, Ewa Pokas
A fable of innocence lost prefiguring The Decalogue and Three Colours: White (both featuring Jerzy Stuhr), Camera Buff follows a factory worker whose life is transformed by his growing obsession with amateur filmmaking once he acquires an 8mm movie camera to shoot his newborn child. Filip's wellintentioned but naive attempts to mix art and politics as a novice documentarian at his factory end up causing unintended harm, even as his marriage and family life are sacrificed in favour of his consuming hobby. Self-reflexively addressing Kieslowski's own misgivings regarding non-fiction cinema, this ruminative drama also takes us on a Kafkaesque tour of communist Poland's bureaucratic hierarchies.
Moscow International Film Festival: Golden Prize and FIPRESCI Prize
Speaker: Dr. Derek Lam (Lecturer in Comparative Literature at the University of Hong Kong)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.