Case for a New Hangman
Dir: Pavel Jurácek
Czechoslovakia, 1970, 107minmins, DCP
Cast: Lubomír Kostelka, Klára Jerneková, Milena Zahrynowska
A remarkable film from the Prague Spring that was “banned forever” by repressive Czech authorities. Drawing on centuries of satirical odysseys to a familiar land turned upside down, Jurácek channeled Jonathan Swift and Franz Kafka (and perhaps a bit of Alice in Wonderland) into an absurd world of autocratic rules and compliant citizens. The “real” Czech rulers could not blot out the sun, but they did extinguish the filmmaker’s career. Yet, nonetheless, his marvelous work survived them.
13.4 (SAT): Introduction by Gabriel M. Paletz (in English)
Buy Tickets 2019-04-13 (Sat)
Buy Tickets 2019-05-01 (Wed)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.