Dir: Billy Wilder
USA, 1944, 107 minmins, DCP
Cast: Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson
Seduced by the alluring wife of a client, an insurance salesman draws up a devious scheme to murder her husband and take the double payout. However, the couple’s plan is constantly threatened under the watchful eye of a brilliant colleague. Featuring gorgeous use of shadows by cinematographer John Seitz and brilliant rapid-fire dialogue by novelist Raymond Chandler, this tantalising and sordid tale of murder – based on a novel by James M. Cain, which in turn was loosely based on a real 1927 murder case – is considered a pioneering work of the film noir genre.
Academy Awards: 7 nominations including Best Picture
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.