Eva (a.k.a Eve)
Dir: Joseph Losey
France／Italy, 1962, English／Italian, 126mins, DCP
Cast: Jeanne Moreau, Stanley Baker, Virna Lisi
Who can resist the bewildering seductive Jeanne Moreau? The self-indulgent and unsympathetic French temptress is magnetic to the phony Welsh novelist, who is overwhelmed by his flashy wealth and fame in Venice. Ensnared into her amour fou, all chic and lovely, he abandons his fiancée, and falls for her loveless love. A sleek look at a heartless affair in baroque style, this romantic drama of the Lost Eden, now restored to the most complete version known to exist, never loses sight of Joseph Losey’s constant themes of despondency, misanthropy and disenchantment. The film undoubtedly belongs to Moreau, whose free-spirited charm resonates with Billie Holiday’s deeply moving jazz ballads, and the church bells ringing solemnly over Piazza San Marco.
Venice Film Festival: In Competition
5/12 (Sun): Film talk with Derek Lam
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.