Even Dwarfs Started Small
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1970, 96 minsmins, DCP
Cast: Helmut Döring, Gerd Gickel, Erna Gschwendtner
In an institution set in a desolate landscape, the dwarf inmates start their rebellion. As the director is taken hostage, the inmates go wild and engage in naughty acts, soon moving to progressively more destructive actions. Burning a lonely palm tree, torturing barnyard animals and even their fellow blind inmates, they are madly giggling with joy at how the rules are being broken at will. Herzog confronts us with the ultimate questions of what we are and what constitutes our humanity. We are, all like the dwarfs, trying hopelessly to make sense of a cruel and brutal dystopia.
Buy Tickets 2018-01-06 (Sat)
Buy Tickets 2018-02-04 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.