Dir: Joel Coen
USA, 1996, 98minmins, DCP
Cast: Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi
Coen Brothers called it a “true story”. The engrossing, unpredictable plot opens in Fargo, where a desperate car salesman hires two hoods to kidnap his wife, grabbing the ransom to solve his debt problems. Oscar Best Actress Frances McDormand plays the pregnant police chief, with a sharp nose for wrongdoing that traces the inept brigands to a bloody conclusion. Overwhelmingly realistic, the film is as absurd, humorous and violent as real life can be, and even inspires a pseudo-documentary and a TV series. And the “truth” is made up on and on…
1996 Cannes Film Festival, Best Director Award
1997 Academy Awards, Best Actress and Best Original Writing
Buy Ticket 2018-06-30 (Sat)
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 2018-07-06 (Fri)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.