Dir: Jean-Luc Godard
France, 2010, 101 minmins, DCP
Cast: Jean Marc Stehlé, Agatha Couture, Mathias Domahidy, Patti Smith
Godard’s first fully-digital feature begins with an ensemble drama set on a Mediterranean cruise ship fragmented to the point of abstraction, as various characters (a French journalist, a former Nazi spy, a Russian officer, an Israeli academic…) are caught in a historical intrigue involving gold coins from the Spanish Civil War that went missing owing to Soviet involvement. The film’s second movement addresses the media and contemporary electoral politics by focusing on a TV news crew and a French family operating a gas station. A final movement features locales of historical and cultural significance: Egypt, Palestine, Odessa, Greece, Naples, and Barcelona.
Cannes Film Festival: Un Certain Regard Section
4/12 (FRI): Lecture with Long Tin, film critic. Approximately 1 hour, conducted in Cantonese. Audience who attends the course is eligible for a complimentary copy of Godard, Film, History (Chinese version only)
Package Discount : 25% discount to each purchase of 2 or above standard tickets to the film course. 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets to ALL six film course sessions.
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.