Dir: Kitano Takeshi
Japan, 1997, 103minmins, 35mm
Kitano Takeshi takes full control. Writing, directing, editing and starring in this drama of a forcibly retired police officer who drifts into a life of debt, crime and redemption. Nishi is torn by guilt for the incident that killed and maimed his colleagues and bound by the obligations of caring for his dying wife. A robbery allows him to pay back some of his debts, yet he – and we – know that the pilgrimage he takes to sacred sites with his wife will come to a difficult end, whatever justice means.
1997 Venice Film Festival, Golden Lion Best Film
1999 #1 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
Buy Ticket 2018-07-01 (Sun)
Full House 2018-07-28 (Sat)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.