Dir: Abbas Kiarostami
Iran/Japan/France, 2003, 74minmins, D-beta
Made in the same year as 10 on Ten, Five couldn’t be more different. In this hyper-minimalist piece, Kiarostami abandons dialogue, actors, cars or even camera movement. Instead, he offers five Zen-like static shots of nature at its most glorious, from driftwood washing up on a Spanish beach to thunderous rain upon a dark sea. Though abstract, the film warmly opens itself to those willing to do the same. Commissioned as part of the centenary celebration of Japanese master Ozu Yasujiro’s birth, Five is a dazzling triumph of the long take.
‘Five, From The 29th Hong Kong International Film Festival Main Catalogue (The Hong Kong International Film Festival Society Limited, 2005)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.