Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1955, 124minmins
Cast: Takamine Hideko, Mori Masayuki
Consistently lauded as a masterpiece, powerful in its evocation of female mentality and postwar malaise, Floating Clouds is Naruse’s fifth adaptation of a Hayashi Fumiko novel. The story of downtrodden Yukiko (Takamine Hideko) and her rakish lover Kengo (Mori Masayuki) interweaves the memory of their love affair during wartime Indochina with the sordid state of their current non-relationship in Japan, one eroded by Kengo’s repeated betrayal and Yukiko’s cyclical descent into squalor. The film deals directly with the inability to return to the past – a theme similarly explored, years later, in Resnais’ Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959).
#1 in 1955 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
1956 Blue Ribbon Awards, Best Film
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.