Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1955, 123 minmins, DCP
Cast: Takamine Hideko, Mori Masayuki
A cornerstone of Japanese cinema’s Golden Age, Naruse’s adaptation of Hayashi Fumiko’s novel transcends space and time. A downtrodden girl (Takamine Hideko) and her rakish lover (Mori Masayuki) intertwine the memory of their love affair during wartime Indochina with the decadent state of their current non-relationship in Japan, one eroded by his repeated betrayal and her descent into melancholy. With an innovative flashback structure, this moody masterwork delicately weaves past and present, personal pain and postwar malaise, in a powerful evocation of female mentality.
#1 in Kinema Junpo ’s Top 10
Blue Ribbon Awards: Best Film
Full House 2020-01-18 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.