Four Nights of a Dreamer(Quatre nuits d’un rêveur)
Dir: Robert Bresson
USA / Italy, 1971, French, 82mins, DCP
Cast: Isabelle Weingarten, Guillaume des Forêts, Jean-Maurice Monnoyer
White Nights , Dostoevsky’s short story once embraced by Visconti in delusional romanticism, is distilled in Bresson’s restrained hands into a beautiful tale of gentle eroticism and electric mystery. The hallucinatory light and colour of Paris is transformed into a dreamy landscape for a fragile relationship, between a solitary dreamer and a distraught girl, over four successive nights. Painted with bittersweet emotions, this fascinating classic offers a glimpse of Bresson’s sense of humour and worldly irony, while enshrining the enigmatic charm of Isabelle Weingarten, ex-wife of Wim Wenders, who passed away in August.
Berlin International Film Festival: In Competition
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.