Giants and Toys (a.k.a. The Build-Up)(Kyojin to gangu)
Dir: Masumura Yasuzo
Japan, 1958, Japanese, 95mins, DCP
Cast: Kawaguchi Hiroshi, Nozoe Hitomi, Takamatsu Hideo
A delectably wicked satire in splashy colours and kitsch knick-knacks, Masumura’s iconoclastic modernist drama takes aim at the absurdity of capitalist mentality amidst Japan’s post-war economic miracle. In the heat of competition among three caramel corporations, a lowerclass girl who is reshaped into a publicity campaign icon preys on her overnight sensation, while the advertising executive hero salvaging his humanity falls victim to intrigues of corporate espionage. A piercing look at the loss of values that comes with political and social reorientation, as bushido spirit gives way to profit over ideals.
#10 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
27/11 (Sat): Seminar with William Lau and Geoffrey Wong
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.