Glory to Eternity
Dir: Bu Wancang, Zhu Shilin, Maxu Weibang, Zhang Shankun, Yang Xiaozhong
1943, 1943, 151minmins, DCP
Cast: Li Xianglan, Nancy Chan Wan-seung, Yuan Meiyun, Gao Zhanfei, Wang Yin
“Glory to Eternity was a so-called ‘collaboration’ production in which the Japanese intended to promote anti-US and anti-British sentiments through a recount of Britain’s invasion of imperial China, a propaganda piece to set the scene for the Japanese’s Pacific front. The film, however, turned out to be an explicit allusion sparking off civil resistance against the imminent Japanese aggression… Looking back today, the film’s ‘unorthodox’ historical narrative is truly intriguing… All the female characters are women of moral integrity… Eternal glory does not belong to the legendary Lin Zexu, but Zhang Jingxian, the prefectural magistrate’s daughter who dies fighting the British at Sanyuanli.” – An Affair with Film
(Screening materials courtesy of the National Film Archive of Japan)
1.2.2019 (FRI): Film talk with Lau Yam
Buy Tickets 2019-02-01 (Fri)
Buy Tickets 2019-02-17 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.