Grave of the Fireflies
Dir: Isao Takahata
Japan, 1988, 89minmins, DCP
One of the most powerful emotional experiences that command a rethinking of animation. In the distressing days of World War II, two children are made orphans and homeless by the bombs. The brother recounts the last days with his sister in a hillside cave refuge, trying hard to find tiny pleasures in a candy tin and fireflies’ illumination. In sublime visual poetry and meditative silence, Takahata immersed his own wartime memories into this profound animation, so beautifully sad that inspires tears, while inviting reflection on the cruelty of war.
© Akiyuki Nosaka / Shinchosha, 1988 All Rights Reserved.
1989 Blue Ribbon Award, Special Award
2014 #15 in Time Out London’s 100 Best Animated Movies
Buy Ticket 2018-07-01 (Sun)
Full House 2018-07-08 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.