Hospital of the Transfiguration(Szpital przemienienia)
Dir: Edward Zebrowski
Poland, 1979, Polish／German, 94mins, DCP
Cast: Piotr Dejmek, Jerzy Binczycki, Henryk Bista
Partly drawn from his experience as a medical student, this early realist novel by Lem suffered from censorship, which led him to focus on science fiction hereafter. Director Edward Żebrowski’s adaptation follows a young doctor in a rural mental hospital who struggles to uphold his ideals among an eccentric staff. However, discussions of moral dilemmas are thrown out the window when the Nazis descend upon the hospital. Going from an offbeat medical drama to a powerful ending that echoes with the gruesome history, this psychological drama is an unnerving journey about the dangers of totalitarianism in all forms.
Locarno International Film Festival: Special Mention
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.