Land of Silence and Darkness
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1971, 85 minsmins, DCP
The most stripped-down of Herzog’s films, and the one that he would most like to be available to audiences. This touching documentary follows Fini Straubinger, a German woman who became deaf-blind early in life, as she struggles to communicate and reaches out to help others similarly afflicted. Togetherness in suffering, sensory sharing of joys through first plane flight and holding animals in a zoo lead them out of their isolated world of silence and darkness. Under Herzog’s sensuous camera, feeling the music at heart or embracing the tree per se offers the sole but undeniable reason for living.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.