Lem's Universe in Shorts
Poland／UK, 1968-2016, Polish, 79mins, DCP
Lem’s short stories have also provided a wealth of material for filmmakers in other mediums. Based on a screenplay by Lem himself, Andrzej Wajda’s Layer Cake (1968) is a darkly comedic tale that imagines a world in which organ transplants are so routine that people’s legal identities become twisted in an impossible knot. Beautifully imagined by the iconic Quay Brothers, Mask (2010) tells the tale of a robot assassin who must choose between its mission or its love for its target, entangled with the conscious struggle between order and humanity. Finally, whimsical stop-motion short The Advisors of King Hydrops (2016) by Natalia Brozynska sees the king's advisors desperately compete to manipulate the newborn prince through programming which ends up in absurdity.
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.