Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1967, 81minmins, DCP
Cast: Nadine Nortier, Jean-Claude Guilbert
Long considered one of Bresson’s best albeit bleakest films, once again based on a work by Georges Bernanos. Mouchette is a rural waif condemned by her surroundings: a sick mother, an alcoholic and abusive father, a household plagued by poverty and scorn and abuse from all whom she encounters. Still, she tries to be good, to help, to survive in a cruel world. Once again, for a Bresson heroine, redemption is both achingly close and impossibly far away.
1967 Cannes Film Festival, Special Distinction
1967 French Syndicate of Cinema Critics, Best Film
‘Filmmakers on Bresson – Wim Wenders, Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
‘Filmmakers on Bresson – Louis Malle, Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 2017-05-21 (Sun)
Buy Ticket 2017-07-09 (Sun)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.