My Neighbors the Yamadas
Dir: Isao Takahata
Japan, 1999, 104minmins, DCP
Best described as “scenes from a family” (to borrow from Bergman), yet Takahata’s animated feature is far funnier and more heartwarming. In his bold narrative experiment structured in the style of haiku, the innovator explores and celebrates mundane life through a series of vignettes of the Yamada family – from the father asserting himself as the man of the house, to the children hiding their dirty socks under the table. Its formless structure, crude sketches and pure aesthetic distill images to their essence, depicting a realized portrait of a family that may be our own.
© 1999 Hisaichi Ishii – Hatake Jimusho – GNHB
Buy Ticket 2018-07-02 (Mon)
Buy Ticket 2018-07-22 (Sun)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.