Nakano Spy School(Rikugun Nakano gakko)
Dir: Masumura Yasuzo
Japan, 1966, Japanese, 95mins, DCP
Cast: Ichikawa Raizo, Ogawa Mayumi, Kato Daisuke
One of the first recruits to the Nakano Spy School, Jiro takes on a new identity, and is given military intelligence training to prepare himself for secret espionage assignments. From questioning the imperialist motives to devoting to the colonel’s passion, Jiro is determined to sacrifice his fiancée, who becomes a mole in search for him, to safeguard the honour of the school and the country. Portraying his spy story not as a critique of militarism but of the naivety of youth, Masumura gravely examines how individuals are dehumanised and misguided under the myth of romantic idealism and misplaced love, and arrives at a conclusion that is both chilling and heartrending.
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.