Never on Sunday(Pote tin Kyriaki)
Dir: Jules Dassin
Greece／USA, 1960, English／Greek, 94mins, 35mm, B&W
Cast: Melina Mercouri, Jules Dassin, Giorgos Foundas
You can kiss her from Monday to Saturday. But Sunday? Ilya is the happy hooker of Piraeus, who wields surprising control over her clientele. When American philhellene Homer arrives in the Greek island, he is enamoured with Ilya’s beauty but disgusted by her freewheeling ways. While he tries to put her on a path of morality, she also attempts to loosen him up. Jules Dassin’s delightful twist on Pygmalion tackles a woman’s sexual agency in bold ways. Nominated for four Academy Awards – including Best Actress for his thenfuture wife Melina Mercouri – this off-beat romantic comedy, which led to scandals for its “immoral story” at the time of release, gave us one of the catchiest Greek dramas and most popular title songs ever composed.
Cannes Film Festival: Best Actress
Academy Awards: Best Music, Original Song
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.