North by Northwest
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
USA, 1959, 136minmins, DCP
Cast: Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason
The primal power of the chase embodied, for once, by a Hitchcock hero who actually knows too little. Cary Grant, of course, is as suave as ever and Eva Marie Saint proves as crystalline and complicated as any Hitchcock blonde. Nonetheless, in this tightly-plotted film, it is the scenery that inevitably steals the show in a voyage of fear across iconic American landscapes. The famous crop duster sequence is so beautifully shot and intricately edited that it has become one of the most iconic sequences in cinema. A film that changed our views of the face of America – quite literally.
1959 National Board of Review, USA, Top Ten Films
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.