Priest of Darkness
Dir: Yamanaka Sadao
Japan, 1936, 82minmins
Cast: Kawarasaki Chojuro, Nakamura Kanemon, Hara Setsuko
One of the three existing films from Yamanaka Sadao – preceding his masterpiece Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937) – Priest of Darkness is a refreshing jidai-geki based on a Kabuki play. A blossoming Hara Setsuko plays the elder sister of a good-for-nothing, persistently searching for her brother whose thoughtless behavior has made him a target of mercenaries and ronin. Hara’s delicate yet determined demeanour subverts the maledominated world, inspiring a kind of bonding and humanity among the disreputable priest, Kochiyama, and the mercenaries. Yamanaka masterfully infuses this ninjo into his swordplay film, transforming it into a reflection of the everyday life of ordinary men.
19/6/2016(Sun): Post-screening seminar with Grace Ng and Li Cheuk-to
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.