Dir: Michelangelo Antonioni
Italy/France, 1964, 117 minsmins, DCP
Cast: Monica Vitti, Richard Harris, Carlo Chionetti
Antonioni explores alienation in its deepest colors – in a film whose working title, perhaps ironically, had actually been Celeste e Verde (sky blue and green). His colors, however, are not those of a loving or healing nature but the palette of corrupted industrial landscapes and polluted waters. These powerful landscapes become the outward manifestations of the detachment and doubts of the heroine, Giuliana (Monica Vitti) amidst shifting demands of her industrialist husband (Carlo Chionetti), a foreign businessman (Richard Harris) and her son (Valerio Bartoleschi).
1964 Venice Film Festival, Golden Lion Best Film & FIPRESCI Prize
Red Desert, From Defining Modernity: Michelangelo Antonioni (Hong Kong International Film Festival Society, 2009)
Buy Tickets 2018-01-07 (Sun)
Buy Tickets 2018-02-11 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.